Recent reports about the current and anticipated impacts of climate change are alarming, and the inadequacy of government and industry responses can make us feel despondent and anxious. However there are things that you can do that will help you feel more positive and empowered, such as:
- Take care of yourself: make sure you are eating and sleeping well, and stay active.
- Enjoy life: Find some things that you like to do, and experience moments of delight
- Take nature walks: Spending time in natural settings has many benefits
- Educate yourself about the effects of climate change and actions needed to mitigate it. The more knowledge we have, the more we can do,
- Take action as an individual: for example, you could recycle, consume less, take public transit instead of driving and buy green products.
- Make your voice heard: We can use our voices to call for greater action, such as calling out climate polluters, or boycotting corporations that have a high level of fossil fuel emissions.
- Become political: We can demand that our political leaders work together and with international partners to take concrete action to reduce the use of fossil fuels, and to ensure that climate justice is a strong consideration in those action.
- Work Together: Join a group that is working on climate action. If we are part of a community, we won't feel so isolated in grief and anxiety.
(adapted from "If you're anxious about climate change, here are some ways to feel more empowered", in What on On Earth newsletter, CBC News · Posted: Aug 20, 2021)
An article in Positive.News suggests 14 ways you can take positive action on climate change.
ClimateFast can help you get involved in climate action through a broad range of educational, communications and political activities. Click "Join Us" below for more information on how you can become involved in climate action.